Document sources define places from which documents can be uploaded or gathered.
The current document sources supported are:
- Web -
HTMLforms with a
Browsebutton that will open the file dialog when clicked to allow selection of files in the user’s computer to be uploaded as documents.
- POP3 email - Provide the email, server and credential of a
POP3based email to be scanned periodically for email. The body of the email is uploaded as a document and the attachments of the email are uploaded as separate documents.
- IMAP email - Same as the
POP3email source but for email accounts using the
- Watch folder - A filesystem folder that is scanned periodically for files. Any file in the watch folder is automatically uploaded.
- Staging folder - Folder where networked attached scanned can save image files. The files in these staging folders are scanned and a preview is generated to help the process of upload. Staging folders and Watch folders work in a similar way with the main difference being that Staging folders are interactive while Watch folders are automatic; documents in a Watch folder are uploaded periodically and documents in a Staging folder remain indefinitely there until an user uploads them. A preview for files in a Staging folder is also provided. An example of Staging folder use is when multiple people are scanning documents but only one person must be allowed to upload those documents. This one person examines the scans quality and decides what to upload and what to reject and have re-scanned. Watch folders can be used when the quality of the scans is irrelevant or when they will be known to be of good quality, such as when receiving e-faxes as PDFs.
Document sources can be configure to allow document bundles to uploaded as compressed files which are decompressed and their content uploaded as separate documents. This feature is useful when migrating from another document manager system.
If you deployed a Mayan EDMS Docker container and want to use watched folders or staging folder, refer to the Docker chapter Accessing outside data.
Creating new sources¶
The “Create new document sources” permission is required for this action.
- Go to the menu.
- From the Actions dropdown select the new type of source to create.
- Each source type will have different fields to customize its behavior. Enter the required information in each field based on the help text provided.
- Press Save.